Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 1: Orientation, Mall, and Waterfall

So today was my first full day in Chiang Mai- eep! Woke up at 8 a.m. (ugh) and had to get ready for my orientation of campus. I don't have many pics of my campus (yet) because I was so busy taking notes and trying to keep up with where I was that I didn't really have time to take many pics other than:

agriculture and sciences building

school entrance
lake on campus
note the attractive asian fro
After touring the campus via taxis, we had to go uniform shopping for school. The whole experience was easy for me as the second I walked in, an old lady gave me the staredown then handed me a skirt and shirt and pushed me into a dressing room- surprisingly, everything fit perfectly! The uniform itself is only a black skirt and a white shirt, and we all found what we needed relatively quickly. Other than that, I met my future husband just outside the uniform shop.


From the uniform shops, we were taken to the mall! It was easily one of the biggest malls I've ever been in- it was five stories tall! It also had a full on supermarket on the bottom floor and tons of american restaurants. I feel like I probably shouldn't be surprised by the fact that there was an Auntie Annie's, a Dunkin' Donuts, a Pizza Hut (they served pizzas with a hotdog crust- how odd), and a KFC all in this mall, I mean, there was a KFC/Pizza Hut combo across from the Pyramids, after all. It'll make it easy if I ever get homesick, it was just kinda weird.

Pad Thai Kaew
Anyways, we went to the mall with all of our Thai Buddies, and I let my friend Mu, or Muscles (as he prefers to be called) order my meal for me. He decided on a hotpot pad kaew dish, which had bean sprouts, rice noodles, veggies, and tofu- it was DELICIOUS! Also, one thing that I LOVE about the people I'm here with is that we are completely comfortable sharing food with each other. This means that not only did I get to have my delicious food, but I got to share it with others and try sticky mango rice, a spicy chicken dish, and lychee in return. Also, I had my meal with an apple-milk smoothie and it was absolutely fantastic!

We spent about three hours looking around the mall and found a pretty fountain and a buddhist icon(?) in a garden that they had there!



After the mall, we had the whole afternoon free! I'm really glad I'm with the group that I have because everyone is just as excited to get out and go see things as I am. Now, those of you at home know that I'm not the most outdoorsy person in the world, but when a few people suggested that we spend an afternoon at the waterfall, I was excited to go! It ended up being 16 of the 30ish students that went, so we ran to 7-11 (there are a TON of them here) to get giant water bottles, then found a taxi that would take all 16 of us at once. Yep. I said all 16 students in one taxi. 


Emma being precious on the floor
You can see Rylan and Hong hanging on the back!
Once we arrived at the waterfall, we began the hike upwards!



hangin at the top!


After the waterfall, we headed back to the hostel and took a two-hour shower and nap break before rallying and going to find dinner. Katie, KG, Summer, Chanelle, Lauren, Emma, and I set out together, and decided to explore the area a little and find food. After about 30 minutes of wandering, we found a mod-looking thai restaurant and decided to go eat there. 


Gyoza- yum!
Veggie rice noodle dish Summer shared with me! (Thanks Summer!)
Katie, me, Chanelle
Summer, KG, Emma
The band that played AWESOME american cover songs

Dinner was a very long affair and it took two and a half hours to get everything together and the bill. After dinner I was exhausted and I headed to bed! Looking forward to the city and temples tour tomorrow!!

Love, 
Haley


No comments:

Post a Comment